Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Facebook your unborn children!

My wife is a Facebook fanatic. Her favorite pastime is lying in bed with the laptop, scanning through piles of profiles. Once in awhile I'll get called away from chopping up graffiti stencils or some other inane project to be shown which former classmate "MUST have gotten a boob job," or to see "how many times some loser has posted a comment on Suchandsuch's picture," or asked if I know "this weird guy trying to add me as a friend." I have to admit, it's a crazy adventure. I even have my own Facebook, and enjoy scanning through my friend's moods to see that they "are so HAPPY right now!" or, on the flip side, "not their usual smiling self."* It's like telepathy, really.

A recent article I read on Reuters is about an Australian couple that have set up a Facebook profile for their unborn fetus. Just think of it, thanks to Facebook your kids can bypass all the struggle and tension of making new childhood friends that you had to go through. If every expectant parent can make a profile of their unborn and update it weekly with its likes and dislikes, said child could be born into the cold world with a plethora of pre-made companions.

For likes and dislikes, you could put something like "kicks hard when I play Mozart for it, but kicks twice as hard when played Rage Against the Machine." Leave it up to your fetus' friends to decide if 'kicks twice as hard' translates into a like or dislike.

I think I'm going to go make a Facebook profile for the spider that lives on my porch. I'll put the link up for Porchspider's profile as soon as it's done, and you can read about how violently his web has twitched all day.



*Actual moods taken from Facebook

No comments: